NSBA Business Builder Award Winners Announced
Posted on March 30, 2017 in News Release
More than 550 business and community leaders gathered at Prairieland Park for the NSBA’s (North Saskatoon Business Association’s) 20th Annual Business Builder Awards gala this evening. The following awards were presented:
- Business Builder Award – Kavia Auto Body
- Community Builder Award – The Northern Strands Group of Companies
- Employee Retention & Development Award – zu
- Export Award – NSC Minerals Ltd.
- Member of the Year – Colin Rooke, Butler Byers Insurance Ltd.
- New Direction Award – YasTech Developments
- Pursuit of Excellence Award – Mitchinson Flight Centre
- Quality Management Award – Parr Auto Body
- Safe Employer Award – Park Derochie Coatings (SK) Inc.
- Shirley Ryan Lifetime Achievement Award – Milton Taylor, Imagery Photography
- Small Business Award – Complete Technologies
- Team Building Award – Parr Auto Body
- Young Promising Entrepreneur Award – The Foggy Lemon Development
“On behalf of the NSBA Board and members, I congratulate this year’s Business Builder Award recipients,” says NSBA Board Chair, Bryan McCrea. “2016 presented some great opportunities and also some very challenging times, and this group of companies has not only navigated those waters, but done so with success. They have demonstrated endurance, creativity and a commitment to our great community. These companies and their leaders provide inspiring examples for all Saskatchewan businesses.”
This year’s awards banquet marked the return of the Text 2 Vote system for the Young Promising Entrepreneur Award, as well as the “Business Builder Award”. Traditionally, these awards are selected by a ballot vote by the membership during the nomination period, well in advance of the banquet. This year four finalists were determined from this member voting. Attendees at the banquet determined the winner through a ‘text-to-vote’ competition. Like our Young Promising Entrepreneur Award, the winner will ultimately be chosen by the attendees at the awards banquet!
Since its inception in 1998, the Shirley Ryan Lifetime Achievement Award is named after the NSBA’s beloved Executive Director who held her position with the organization until her official retirement in 2009. As a tribute to her life, the NSBA played a short video, held a moment of silence, and then announced the winner of this prestigious award; her long-time friend, Milton Taylor, Imagery Photography.
“We bill this as a night where we honour our own,” says Keith Moen, Executive Director for the NSBA. The theme for the 2017 Business Builder Awards has been coined as The Sky Is the Limit. Moen says, “This evening is about acknowledging and celebrating the success, leadership, ingenuity, and in some cases, the persistence of our peers. The sky is the limit as to what business in Saskatchewan can achieve.”
About the NSBA: the NSBA is a member-driven and focused organization that serves, promotes and protects business throughout Saskatoon and beyond. Though our origins and roots are in Saskatoon’s north end, today we encompass far more than that. We have developed our mandate and reputation by being a relevant, topical and effective organization that interacts with all levels of government and industry on a variety of issues for the betterment of our local economy.
Contact: Keith Moen, Executive Director
– 30 –